Holiness is for Everyone
“We are frequently tempted to think that holiness is only for those who can withdraw from ordinary affairs to spend much time in prayer. That is not the case. We are all called to be holy by living our lives with love…” – Pope Francis
God calls each and every single one of us to be holy. Here are a few simple steps you and your family can take to grow in holiness this month.
Little Steps to Sanctity
It can seem daunting to hear words like ‘holiness’ and ‘sanctity’. We might be tempted to think these concepts only apply to Bishops, Priests, and Nuns. But God calls each of us to a life of holiness. We are all invited to follow Him.
It can still seem scary, maybe even impossible, to become a saint. It’s good to remember that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. We all have to start somewhere in our path towards holiness.
How do you become holy? One step at a time. Jesus calls us to follow Him, but it’s a marathon, not a sprint. Each and every day is a new opportunity to say “Yes” to God. To choose His will instead of ours. To take another step in following Him. As a family, you have the opportunity to take these steps together.
Little steps to sanctity:
- Get up a few minutes early to invite Jesus into your day
- Create your own prayer to say as a family each week
- Sacrifice one small pleasure every day, and offer it up to God
- Take a moment each day to thank God for all the gifts He has blessed you with
- End your day by saying sorry for those times that you stumbled and struggled
Discuss as a family: What is another little step you can take together to grow in holiness this month?
Hail Mary, Full of Grace Coloring Sheet
Download and print out this coloring sheet to remember Mary, the little girl from Nazareth whom God called to be holy.
The Blessed Mother is a beautiful example of holiness. She can also help us in our steps to sanctity.
Did you know the prayer, The Hail Mary, has its roots in the Bible?
- Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee (Luke 1:28)
- Blessed are thou among women (Luke 1:41)
- And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus (Luke 1:42)
- Holy Mary, Mother of God (Luke 1:43)
- Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death (James 5:16)
Challenge for the family: Ask our Blessed Mother to pray for your family’s growth in holiness by praying the Hail Mary as a family.