A Good Read!!!
Albert Camus’ The Plague
Incredible read considering our situation.
A great quote from Dr. Bernard Rieux, the narrator and central character who works tirelessly to lessen the suffering of those around him even though the plague is overwhelming.
“This whole thing is not about heroism,” he says. “It may seem a ridiculous idea, but the only way to fight the plague is with decency.”
UPDATE ON PUBLIC MASSES!
We will resume public masses at Holy Spirit Parish on the weekend of May 30 and 31, the weekend of Pentecost!!!!
At this time, we will continue with our regular weekend Mass schedule (Saturday 6 pm, Sundays 9,11:30, and 5) and Daily Mass at 12:10.
Some of the guidelines from both the state and the Bishop:
Attendance at each individual Mass or liturgy is limited to no more than 33% of regular occupancy, and there must be 6 feet of space between people not living in the same household.
- in our case, that is a maximum of 130 people at each Mass
- The number may be less after we arrange seating respecting the 6 feet of space. We will start rearranging the seating on Monday, so we should know more about the final occupancy then.
- We will be sending out a survey early next week, asking you if you plan to come to Mass and how many from your family will be attending. This information will help determine the number of occupants.
- Once we have an idea of how many will; to return to public mass, we will know if we need to adjust the Mass schedule. As of now, we are planning on keeping our regular Mass schedule.
- We will continue to live stream the 11:30 Sunday Mass and the daily Mass at 12:10 except Saturdays.
- We are looking into a system where you can be scheduled to come to a particular Mass so we won’t have more people congregate than we can accommodate, and you will be assured of a safe seat. We’ll keep you updated on this.
- Masks are to be worn by the congregation and we suggest you bring your own hand sanitizer, even though we will have hand sanitizer available.
- Masks are to be worn by ministers at all times when not speaking, reading or singing as part of their ministry.
- Elderly and vulnerable populations are encouraged to participate in live-streamed masses.
- Those who have a fever or flu-like symptoms are asked not to attend Mass.
- The dispensation from the requirement to come to Mass during the pandemic remains in effect per Bishop John for anyone who decides not to come to Mass.
- Communion is distributed only in the form of Bread and given to communicants only in the hand.
- There is to be no physical contact during the Lord’s Prayer or during the Sign of Peace.
- Gloves are not to be worn by the ministers or recipients of communion.
- Assembly is to be instructed that there will be no vocal words at the distribution of communion, the minister will hold up the sacred host and the communicant will bow.
We miss and we love you; AND we want to keep you safe!!!!
More to come as things develop!!!
Daily Masses (except Saturdays) will be lived streamed from Holy Spirit Parish / Newman Center at 12:10 pm!!!
Sunday Mass will be lived streamed at 11:30 am!!!
To access the live-streamed Masses:
- Go to YouTube and search Catholic Wildcats for our Catholic Wildcats YouTube Channel
- or use this link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZCNv6PnFvZbnTr6TpCEEUw
Fr. Lobo will do the Rosary at 3 pm.
Those interested in joining can participate using the following link.
Meeting ID: 262 241 681
Password. : 007787
Read about parishioner Dr. Susanne Arnold co-leading a Clinical trial at UK concerning COVID-19
“UK Launches Clinical Trial to Evaluate Novel Treatments for COVID-19”
Way to go Susanne!!!!
Because of your generosity, our mission has been able to continue. Usually, our extraordinary Easter Match—which is so important to our ministry at the Newman Center—is coming to a conclusion now. However, due to the unique situation of this year, and not being able to have Easter Masses, we are extending the Easter Match to Pentecostal Sunday.
There are two ways to give to the Easter Match. You can write a check to Holy Spirit Parish The Newman Center with “Easter Match” in the memo line. So many of you have already done that, thank you! You can also visit our website uknewman.com and select “Support Our Easter Match”.
While there will be no office hours at Holy Spirit Parish/ Newman Center because of the pandemic, Fr. Lobo and I will be available for any emergent spiritual needs or if you find yourself in a vulnerable situation concerning food or medication. My cell phone number is 859-285-9824 and Fr. Lobo’s cell number is 609-457-0049.
Once public masses resume, there will be limited office hours from 11:00 am to 2 pm using masks and appropriate social distancing.